View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
DEpointfive0
Premium Member Bitches

Drives: a lot
DEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspooney View Post
Hey all,
Has anyone gone through the trouble of performing an engine oil analysis before/after installing an oil cooler?

I recently installed a 35 row Z1 cooler. And let me just say that things aren't exactly what I expected (not knocking Z1's product). With the thermostatic plate it takes a good bit for the oil to reach temps... maybe 10-15 minutes. I am also concerned that the car might be starved of oil longer than it would be without the oil cooler when the car is being started up:

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but wouldn't the oil lines drain every time the engine is stopped, resulting in bubbles in the oil system, which in turn results in insufficient lubrication at engine startup (maybe only for a few seconds).

I'm worried that this would have a long term effect on the engine...

Can anybody chime in on this?
Why would the car be starved of oil?
Especially when in the second statement you're saying the car will have too much oil in the pan.
If the whatever you think is draining oil, you should be worried about the valves and the whole head not being lubed when you first start the car. (There's usually enough oil there from the previous day(s) to prevent any damage on startup)

And bubbles... What bubbles? Maybe 1? 2?
Bubbles aren't a catalyst for more bubbles. I suspect the camshaft slamming through the oil at 7500RPM is more of an issue, but obviously it's not that big of a problem, or you'd hear about motors dying every other day. If you grossly overfill your oil you'll have bubbling issues.

Real question, if the cooler mounted top up? Or top down?