View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis2012 View Post
Anyone find their Z a burden?

For example: high monthly payments, insurance, can't afford gas, two seaters, can't afford repairs, cabin space, excessive noise, unwanted attention, complaints from significant other etc etc.

I don't have any problems with my car, but I can imagine the Z can be a burden for some. Especially if he/she uses it as a DD.
Absolutely not!

A lot of the problems you mention seem to be common for people who spend more than they can afford. You should evaluate all of these elements prior to purchase.

( Click to show/hide )
High monthly payments? It's a $30-40K car, they're not that high. You should know if this is going to be a problem before purchase.

Insurance? It's a sports car and might be more expensive than your average sedan. Get a quote. You should know if this is going to be a problem before purchase.

Can't afford gas? If you're having trouble paying for gas, I don't know how you can afford a car payment. Premium isn't significantly more expensive than regular, and the mpgs are given based on conservative driving habits. You should know if this is going to be a problem before purchase.

Two seaters? There are circumstances (like a kid) that might force a sale after purchase, but you shouldn't hold that against the Z. You should know if this is going to be a problem before purchase.

Can't afford repairs? This is a sports car and is going to require more costly maintenance than your average sedan (esp in tires). You should know if this is going to be a problem before purchase.

Cabin space? Ok so I'm starting to feel like there is a little bit of a pattern here. You should know if this is going to be a problem before purchase.

Excessive noise? I never thought it was excessive to begin with, but I accept the fact that it's a sports car with a hatch. It's going to be noisier than your average sedan. I installed some sound deadening in the hatch. I have some for the doors as well, but I haven't installed it yet. You shouldn't expect this to be a quiet car. Something else that helps is not using your phone in the car.

Unwanted attention? Most cops aren't gunning to bust sports cars exclusively. Drive with courtesy and speed within reason you shouldn't have any more trouble than any average vehicle. That being said, a red sports car is probably going to attract a little more attention than a gray sedan.

Complaints from significant other? Generally speaking, you should know if this is going to be a problem before purchase or before you get too serious in a relationship. Our Z was originally my wife's DD before her commute changed from all highway no traffic to across town through rush hour traffic. Now she wants an AT 370Z She complains a little about the mod money spent, but then she gets me things like the RJM clutch pedal assembly for my birthday so I don't know what to think. Women...

The only person I can think of who might answer yes on this forum would be JungleZ. He hates his Z and gets banned regularly for being excessively vocal about it on the forum. You can ignore him if he posts here

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |

Last edited by JARblue; 02-28-2014 at 07:31 AM.
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote