View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #453 (permalink)
jwick
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 G37 6MT
jwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogirl View Post
I spoke with bobby at vsr regarding my cracked gtm manifolds and he recommended shipping them down to his shop to have them welded and cryo-treating the manifolds. The cost would be $100 per set.
I'm no metallurgist but I don't know if cryo-treating is what you want. As I understand it cryo-treating increases strength and hardness of the material. Harder material has a tendency to be more brittle. In a location that is going to constantly heat cycles, I'm not sure you want to have it be harder. I know we are very selective where we use high strength materials offshore.

I used to work with an engineer that knows a bunch about steel make up and thermal expansion. I'm going to try and get in touch with him and see if I can provide you with any additional information.