View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #440 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

While I was saying that cracking cast iron turbos manifolds is pretty common... I am not saying it will not effect performance. At first it wont. But it gets worse, and it spreads, and the material gets more brittle pretty fast. Eventually you will see light through the crack.

By the time you can hear it with your head in the engine bay, it has a pretty harsh effect on performance. A lot more than you would think from how minor it looks... more than I can really understand or explain. But I have experienced it and it really does effect performance.

It can be welded by a professional who is familiar with repair welding this type of part for the environment it will see, but it is a temporary fix, and it will crack again along the edge of the weld later (from what I have seen, maybe there are people that can do it better than i have seen).

Last edited by phunk; 02-27-2014 at 12:55 PM.