View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Last summer I picked up some used rear tires (same as the ones already on the Z - Nitto Invos). They were advertised at 8/32nds but were more like 6/32 when I got home to check them. I wish I had brought a tread depth gauge with me when I picked them up - if they're being shipped, you obviously won't have that luxury.

Still, for the price, I couldn't complain. The main reason behind purchasing used tires, was my front tires were wearing faster than normal - I am trying to maintain a 1:2 front:rear replacement ratio and don't want to change front tires without also changing the rears. I saw these FS and they were 305s (I was running 285s at the time), they were local (well, San Antonio), and inexpensive (I bought multiple items, but the tire cost was around $250 of the total).

That being said, I do not plan to purchase used tires again except in a very similar situation. I was just trying to better control my replacement schedule. Tires are a very key element to the safety of your vehicle, so they're not something I try to save money on. I plan to purchase a full set of new tires this coming Spring or Summer.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote