View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
b15
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 4drz
b15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsZ View Post
Not every Z owner has a choice on whether or not to drive their Z's in winter weather with snow, ice, extreme cold etc. Did you ever think that for some Z owners, it might be our only car? I would love to be able to afford a beat up DD so I can garage my Z. I have driven mine in the winter up here in CT for the past 2 years. I use it to commute back and forth to work, 45 miles each way. The first year I had performance tires and I learned very quickly that I wasn't going anywhere with even the slightest amount of snow on the road. This year I bought Conti's Pure Contact and they are awesome. I haven't been out on anything deeper than a few inches of snow but it handles great in any amount up to that. I also added 2, 35 lbs of kitty litter to the trunk which doesn't hurt. The Z is better in the snow than most people think and I get to drive it year round. I'm going to enjoy every day...winter, spring, summer, and fall in my Z which now has over 48k miles and is in pristine condition. Yes...I wish I was lucky enough to be able to garage my Z and drive some old beater to work. But then, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my Z year round. By the way, the heated seats work great!

True. Some cannot or chose not to have a second car and there's nothing wrong with that. However if you chose to drive the Z in winter conditions, keeping summer tires on is not a smart nor responsible decision. If money was so tight that you cannot run proper equipment on your car as the seasons change, then perhaps you bought the wrong car. Anyone who thinks running summer tires in sub freezing temps and snow is acceptable is ill advised.
b15 is offline   Reply With Quote