Thread: Saga of Wheels
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Meulen
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 370z 40th
Meulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond reputeMeulen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornsm View Post
Why is this bad ?

Forgestar calls it Flow Forming, but def NOT forged.

I can see why some people would be nervous. I'm not an expert on steel so this may be a better question for the wheel manufacter. What I do know is forging is a heating process that takes steel to 2000+ degrees. This is just before the steels melting point and the metal is able to shaped. There's something about the carbon in the steel at that temp that creates a chemical reaction hardening the steel. I believe, heating it up again after that chemical reaction takes place may distort the metal. However, the powdercoating process is only heated to around 400 degrees. I don't believe that would be near enough to worry about distorting the metal. It's significantly below it's melting point. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If you think about, forged rods and pistons probably are subject to more heat in their own use.