View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #1711 (permalink)
b15
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 4drz
b15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond reputeb15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger123 View Post
Fellow Chicagoian Brothers,

I recently purchased a 2006 Nissan Murano for my wife. Bought it back in September '13. Good thing......especially with this winter. It has been a rock and at least I feel very confident when my wife drives it while encountering bad weather......which seems to be every 3rd day this year.

My question is this. The car has only 58K miles on her. I'm not familiar with 3.5L engine, but I have been advised it is the same engine that was in the 350z. I just had the oil changed with Nissan Ester the other day. Is this overkill? Does the 3.5L have VVEL like the 3.7L?

Are there any benefits to using the Ester here or should I just stick with conventional oil?

Many thanks.
It's similar to the 03-05 350z with different tuning. This is the first gen VQ35de (second gens are in the 07+ Altimas and 09+ muranos). There is no VVEL and using a good conventional oil will be fine, ester is not required but won't hurt anything except your wallet. You're probably better off running a good synthetic for the price of Nissan ester though. Also the most common issue with the first gen VQ35de is the timing chain tensioner going bad.
b15 is offline   Reply With Quote