Thread: 370z Vs. 335i
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crash
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 02 Corvette Z06
Crash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namir View Post
You talk about bang for the buck but you say you are going to turbo your Z immediately?

New Z is going to be 33-43k depending on what options you get, + at least 10k for a turbo set up with proper tuning, and then all the supporting chassis/engine modification to make it a balanced car it'll likely be around 15k before you are said and done. That brings your total to 48-58k dollars with no warranty.
Those 'expensive' 335s and M3's don't sound like such a bad deal after all. Especially since they can be had for invoice and under.

Just playing devil's advocate, I still love the Z
The M3 isn't putting 500HP down to the ground. And yes, I'm planning on spending that much on my car, but I'm not everyone else. Most people will not be turboing their cars. The block may not have a warranty, but everything else will. If I crack the block, that's on me (just like if you made a 500HP M3) and I'd replace it with a sleeved forged block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
I'd assume he'd want to bump the performance of the 335i as well since it's performance won't quite equal a stock 370Z.
Exactly. I'm going for full performance. Anyone who races knows you've got to modify your car to do what you want it to do on the track. They're going to void their warranty anyway. If you bought an M3 for daily driving and you don't plan to modify it, good for you! But if you're going to race it, it's better to start with a cheaper platform that already performs well.