View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
radensb
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z GM M6
radensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
Hi Radensb,
I've looked into that myself but haven't found anything that really works well. Nothing you'll find on the market is apple approved.
I have learned that this is not a trivial task. I have looked into many mainstream solutions. No dice. 99% of the ones out there only support the media streaming with the IPOD in Simple Remote controll mode. The Z uses Advanced Control Mode, and if it doesnt get the expected feedback, it doesnt show a connected device.

Quote:
I've tried one really good adapter that supposedly emulates the iPod on the end of the cable but in my 2009 Z with Navi something wasn't happening, it was sporadic and just wouldn't stay connected.
I have already made good progress with this. I have be able to monitor the digital communication between the car and an actual IPOD to decode the communication. I have mapped the pinout of the IPOD adapter cable and successfully programmed a microprocessor to interface with the IPOD adapter and respond to the car making it think an IPOD was in fact connected! I got access to all the menus and everything. The car uses a polling mode. This is probably why the adapter failed to stay connected. Unless the IPOD adapter is able to respond to track information requests (which are constantly sent by the car), the car will fail to keep the connection active.

My most recent success was with hardcoded test metadata. I was able to display track time information, song name, artist, and album fields when in the IPOD mode from my development system. At this point, it's time to interface my embedded system with an audio bluetooth module so that the hardcoded values can be replaced with values actually received from the phone or other connected AVRCP media device to display. Once I can control my phone media player and get metadata by interfacing with the audio bluetooth module directly, I will be able to program my embedded system to interface with it and translate the responses into response commands that the Z IPOD adapter expects. As far as the Z is concerned, its getting responses from an IPOD.

Quote:
I just dont' have the time to analyze what it's pinout is and what's low and whats high and what's floated, etc. So I just returned it. Sigh. So close too. It even handed off to the BT in the car when calls received. A2DP with all metadata present on the car as if iPod actually connected. I just gave in and now I use an iPod Touch 1st Gen, the earlier iPods with hard drives just booted up too slow and at times wouldn't be recognized.
This seems to be common. I have though of giving up, but im stubborn and like a challenge. Theoretically, my current design should work. There will be room for improvement im sure, but so far, 95% of my individual tests have been successful. Its just a matter of confirming bluetooth operation with my phone and putting them all together!

Here is a block diagram:

Last edited by radensb; 02-14-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Fixed picture size
radensb is offline   Reply With Quote