View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
OldRice
Base Member

Drives: 06 350ZR
OldRice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC671 View Post
I think you guys are overreacting a bit much. There is no magic number as to how many times you should check the plugs after each pass. That's why you have UpRev. Monitor your conditions on each pass.

Do you know how long it takes to access the plugs? You have to remove the brace, intake manifold and the throttle bodies if I remember correctly. It was not a quick job that's all I can say. Doing that at the strip will take forever.

This is why I don't usually post because there are a lot of different opinions, or people who no first hand experience, or people who just recently sprayed and have gotten a false sense of security.

Read other forums besides here. Read all the knowledge. Buy all the safety precautions. Learn how to use them, know what they do, know the ranges each readings should be at.

Remember every car has the same risks when going F/I, the key is knowing the limits and knowing the ranges things need to be at. I've ran through more than 30 bottle refills and several passes down the drag strip with no issues for 3 years, take it for what it's worth. GL guys I'm out.
Yes -agreed the plugs are a beeotch to change. Same dilemma on my 350z. I was only suggesting for the first few passes on upon a new install it might be worth it. I say this because I experienced on my 100shot (with uprev tune and standard 4degree ignition retard) that my timing was still too much, and I had black (and slight shiny diamond metallic ) speckling on the porcelain - a strong indicator of detonation. I dropped the jet to 75 to confirm, ran a pass, and had good timing mark and no speckling - then I had my map changed to take an additional degree out.

Sometimes it is better to know what going on outside of blind faith in the tune. To change plugs constantly, yeah agreed not practical.

Nice to see some are N20 on here, albeit the minority for sure - all great info.

Last edited by OldRice; 02-13-2014 at 06:26 PM.
OldRice is offline   Reply With Quote