View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
radensb
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z GM M6
radensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond reputeradensb has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2009 370Z IPOD -> A2DP Bluetooth Unit

Hi all,

Here's the deal, I I bought a 2009 370Z. It does NOT support bluetooth audio streaming, which is a bummer as I primarily use Pandora. Lets face it, the media playbak options on the 2009 are outdated. Compact flash card port...really??

Ok, so I wanted to stream bluetooth audio to the stereo. There is an AV AUX port in the arm rest compartment, as well as a 30 pin IPOD adapter.

I dont have an IPOD. Im team android all the way. So I got to thinking... How can I use this IPOD adapter?? Well, Im a DYI kind of guy, especially with electronics and programming, so his was right up my ally. I am developing an interface which would be connected to the cars IPOD adapter. This interface will make the car think there is an IPOD plugged in and play audio. The interface will communicate with the car via the 30 pin adapter and with an onboard bluetooth module that supports A2DP and AVRCP 1.3 connected to a bluetooth device playing the media.

I plan to support A2DP audio streaming, media control (play,pause,next,previous) from the stereo or steering wheel controls and metadata for AVRCP 1.3 enabled bluetooth devices(artist, track, album, elapsed time, duration).

The goal is to be able to get in my car, have my phone connect, and play Pandora (or any media app) with media control and metadata display with the car in IPOD mode. The experience would be similar to having an IPOD connected, but without the limitation of only an IPOD being used.

I have looked into some of the mainstream bluetooth/IPOD adapters, but the IPOD adapter in the 370Z actively communicates with the IPOD, and if the communication timesout, the car assumes the device has been removed and disabled the IPOD menus leaving you with the "IPOD Not Connected" message. Since none of the existing adapters can respond to Apple Accessory Protocol commands, they will never work.

Would there be any interest from others here?? Obviously, this will only work or be needed with 09 370Z's with the 30 pin IPOD adapter, but being that the system is based on Apple's Accessory Protocol, it should work with any IPOD adapter interface *theoretically of course* that needs active communication.
radensb is offline   Reply With Quote