View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeetah
Enthusiast Member

Drives: z12
Zeetah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato View Post
I made a positive mold of the stock hood out of fiberglass mat and polyester resin, it's the cheapest way to make a mold.
I used the hood pins for ease and cost. If I wanted to hook up the hinges, I would need to make a mold of the underside of the hood too, not just the outside, which would double costs of the mold and make it more complicated.
Vacuum pump is a necessity to make sure the CF sucks into the mold without air pockets.
Their are 3 different liquid systems, epoxy is the strongest and most expensive, polyester resin is the cheapest, stinkiest, weakest (This is what you find at lowes)
The most popular mold release agent is called polyvinyl alcohol (PVA). Good stuff.

Mold making is really the hardest part of the whole process, you need it to be thick enough to be stiff, not any big air pockets, and you need to make it bigger than the hood (or whatever you're making). You can do that by gluing plastic or covered cardboard on the underside extending out, then laying the fiberglass over and wetting it all down with the resin.

Here is an excellent resource, which is what inspired and taught me how to make my hood. Warning: you will probably spend the next 6 hours straight reading through everything.
Sub 2500 lbs. 96 Mustang Cobra Project... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
6 hours of reading? oh man..... lol
ya i was hoping you wouldnt have to make an inside mold and just attach the hinges anyway possible without doubling the cost....

i bought my cf sample wraps from metrorestyling.com, they forgot to send me something that was suppose to be included in my package, and i emailed them about it, they replied within less than an hour and sent it free of charge, excellent service and i loved the product, anyhow, id LOVE IT if real CF would look like that, not the real cf i see around on car panels and interior trims, they all look greyish...

if i were to go the fb route, what materials would i need?
Zeetah is offline   Reply With Quote