View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeetah
Enthusiast Member

Drives: z12
Zeetah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato View Post
white puffy thing was probably a high density foam. That is called "sandwich" composite. It can make a much lighter/stiffer carbon fiber or fiberglass part, and be cheaper too. (it is structurally like a steel i-beam) I've made a hood using CF/nomex honeycomb sandwich composite construction weighing 7.3 lbs, stiffer than anything you could imagine no homo. It was a pin on hood though, 4 hood pins, had to remove the whole hood to check the engine. you could lift it off with one hand though, so it wasn't a big deal for me. I'd definitely recommend reading more, and order some epoxy or resin, and fiberglass and start practicing. You will make many mistakes at first, but it is the only way to learn. start making molds of small things and working your way up. It is an expensive habit too, my hood mold cost about ~75-100$ to make, hood cost about $550 in materials.
what was your mold made of that it cost so much? im thinking of using foam or clay, which ever is easier and cheaper to work with.

why did your hood have pins? couldnt you attach it like your OEM hood? im sure its possible and should be fairly simple, no?

absolutely correct about practicing with smaller items first lol, the materials i think i need are
- vac bag pump thingy ( dont know the proper name )
- cf and fg sheets
- the hardener ( called epoxy resin? )
- and the liquid you put over your mold so that you can detach your finish product after so it doesnt stick to the mold itself

right? i know im obviously going to have to do more research, but i just wanted to get an idea of it, still have a couple months of ()@#&@ WINTER....................
Zeetah is offline   Reply With Quote