View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
2fast4thelaw
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Sport/MT6
2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSpeedDemon View Post
What do you guys think of Orion amps? I've been talking to some guys locally who have built some pretty decent systems and they both recommended Orion, Soundstream or JL.

I've found these online within or barely over my price range, so doable:
Orion XTR10001 (XTR 10001) - 1000W x 1 Chan. @ 1 Ohm
JL Audio J2 1000.1 (J21000.1) - 1000W x 1 Chan. @ 1 Ohm
Boston Acoustics GTA-800M - 500 watts @ 4 ohms

input

I used to have a pair of the OLD school HCCA Orion amps and they are insane! They were like 25Watts rms X2 but you could wire them down to 1/2 ohm but they were terribly inefficent and they got wicked hot! They are very clean and dynamic amps. Old soundstream is the same way but thier new stuff I am not sure about, they have changed hands and are a completely different design now. JL amps are awesome but they are pricey and the good ones I would suggest are way outside the price range you gave us to work with.

I dont recommend running amps below 2 ohms. They get hot and distortion goes way up and damping factor drops. Excessive heat is indicative of wasted power. I would stick to new class D technology that Alpine and JL have embraced. My 900 watt JL HD amp barely gets warm and its tiny!

I know someone recommended Pioneer but I would not recommend Pioneer. Their amps and speakers are less than stellar! Pioneer like Sony is a mainstream brand and are average at best. Most reputable car audio shop would encourage you to a better product. Like Big-A, I have had nothing but prosblems with thier head units too.

Last edited by 2fast4thelaw; 11-05-2009 at 07:57 PM.
2fast4thelaw is offline   Reply With Quote