View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #27 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

So you have all the positives .... let me give you the BIG downside

You will be 28 to 40 times more likely to suffer a serious injury - sufficiently serious to cause an injury that impairs your ability to lead a normal, full and productive life, or a fatal accident. The risk actually peaks immediately after the learner-period is over.

If the unthinkable happens, it is not you that suffers the most, it is those around you.

Our daughter died as a consequence of injuries sustained when her fiancee dropped the bike in a 40kph "oops" - caused by road debris dragged onto the tarmac by delivery trucks cutting a suburban corner.

The accident occurred the day after my wife and I hosted their engagement party.

This occurred 17 years ago and I can still see the police car arriving to deliver the message as clear as the keyboard in front of me.

So, I say "pause a moment" and think of your parents, siblings and those you hold dear, and ask yourself - "Am I prepared to subject them to the possible outcomes of serious trauma or even death", because the only way to make sure you can avoid it is not to throw your leg over the saddle.

Now when I was much younger, I started with a CB350 Honda (those old enough will remember them), and progressed to a Kawasaki Mach III, Mach IV and eventually a 900 four. I road-raced all the Kwacka's and eventually gained enough skill the be given a National B-grade license (an A-grade license meant you could road-race internationally), so I absolutely "get" the levels of fun you can have and the sheer rush of adrenalin that comes from pushing the envelope, or even just cruisin' along on a mild summers day.

But never forget that it is dangerous and for every rider still at it after 20, 30 or 40 years, there are a lot who left for a ride and never came home the same person, or simply never came home at all, and my thoughts are always with those who are left behind.

If you do choose to proceed, then think long-and-hard about taking the GF or life-partner of the moment on the pillion, because quite simply, on a motor-cycle, sh1t happens AND the penalties of someone else's mistake can be catastrophic.

I'm not intending to be a wet-blanket, but if by spending 10 minutes typing this all out, I save another parent, uncle/aunty, grand-parent or sibling the madness of grief, I'll be happy.

That said, I am a notorious old-fart, and you are perfectly at liberty to ignore me.

Tread your own path.

RB
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote