View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
cv129
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nismo, 16 Nismo
cv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond repute

Rear coilovers have been making knocking noise, went back to Vorshlag for a diagnosis back in November 2013, and it was the spherical bearing up top. The replacement parts finally came in back in January 2014, so car will be going back in for a quickie.

It did take longer than expected to receive the replacement bearings, but I understand I was catching Bryan Hise @ JRZ at a very bad time (Thanks Giving, PRI, Daytona testing, Xmas).

Since car is going back in anyway, I decided to do some minor upgrades to some braking components.
  • Nismo pads
  • Titanium shims, 0.5mm version
  • Cyro treated Centric premiums

From Concept Z Performance

Went with these pads because these are rather cheap @ $180 for fronts + rears, and C&D test showed much improvement over stock pads.
Nismo only disclosed the friction coefficient to be "more than 0.3 mu", which really doesn't say much (Project Mu NS400 is advertised at 0.34 to 043 mu, for comparison).

Titanium shims from Hardbrakes.com

I figured it would be good, even for a street car, to shield some heat from calipers (namely the seals). They are about $100.

The Cyro Treated Centrics will get shipped to the shop directly, so pics later. Tirerack quoted $285 shipped. Thought about 2 piece rotors, I know I won't feel any difference and weight saving won't impact me realistically. I just need something that withstands heat better (stockers have hairline cracks and I didn't really abuse them). Member Cossie and Clintfocus both have used cyro treated rotors and worked well for them in more heated applications, so that should be good enough for me.

Won't be doing SS lines and fluids at this time. I don't think I'll burst the stock lines, and I won't be boiling any brake fluid anytime soon. I'll probably do those when I do the CSC and MC later on, however.

Last edited by cv129; 02-01-2014 at 09:49 PM.
cv129 is offline   Reply With Quote