View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bowman
Base Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370z GM M6
Bowman is a jewel in the roughBowman is a jewel in the roughBowman is a jewel in the rough
Default Apparently my Z is REALLY 'special'..

Kind of a long read, but might as well tell the whole story....

First off: I bought a 2011 370z 6MT Sport Package new about 2 years ago and its been great. Completely bone stock still btw.

Now, as of about October, occasionally on start-up the RPM's would drop a little when it would go to idle and sound like its struggling to stay on, and then eventually just idle back out after a few seconds. Or it'll idle out fine if I gave it a little gas. I mentioned it to the Nissan dealership I purchased it from and someone suggested changing the air filters, so I did. And it seemed to work just fine, so I thought maybe it fixed it. That lasted about 2 weeks. Then it was back to sputtering on start-up, sounding like it was almost about to stall itself out. And then about a week later, actually did stall out right after start up. Without being in gear or anything.

Now, this doesn't happen every time, its hit or miss...but definitely happens quite a bit. So I took it back to Nissan to take another look, since its still under warranty as well. And they couldn't get it to recreate the sputter or stall so they said there wasn't much to they could do, especially since it wasn't throwing any codes on the computer.. So they sent me on my way and said to bring it back when it does it again.

Stalled in the Nissan parking lot 10min later.. -__- And of course it was right when the Service Dept closed so I bring it back the next morning and they took it and finally got it to stall hours later.. said they'd have it figured out and fixed by the end of the day. Haha!

End of the day comes and they finally called and said they're gonna have to keep it for a few days..since it still wasn't throwing any codes. Few more days pass and everything is checking out fine, the mechanics start scratching they're heads and determine that its got to be an electrical issue. So they start replacing some sensors... nothing changes. Few more days, replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor..still no change. So now they do a database search to see if there's any other issues like this in these cars....guess what? Apparently mines the only one -__- at least that's what they said....

So now they call Nissan Tech Support and they start having the Service Dept run a few tests and mess with a few other parts...nothing changes. Then they suggest replacing the entire engine wiring harness..did that, no change. Then replaced the IPDM and the ECM, and STILL nothing changes...

So now here we are, my Z has been in the Service Dept since before Christmas..still pretty much at square 1, same issue, almost everything under the hood electrical is new and didn't make a difference, AND the dealership Service Dept is stumped along with Nissan Tech Support. They supposedly are sending in a District Nissan Engineer to take a look... So I asked what would happen if he couldn't figure it out, and they said that then there's a possibility I could be looking at a whole new engine.... O_O

Seriously, WTF? Wtf is wrong with my car? Everything was great and now this.... I just want my Z back They've had me stuck in this lame Nissan Juke as a loaner...

I actually think I deserve a new one at this point...and brought that up to the GM of the dealer. After all the labor and parts they've replaced...AND the possible idea of a new motor...

Anyone else seen anything like this? Lol. Figured this would be the place to ask.
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote