View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mike
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 370z
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imag View Post
If you're a track newbie, why switch tires? The stock tires hold up pretty decently and have great grip for street tires. I think, and I've heard it said by others, that you learn a lot more about proper car control without the crutch of ultra-sticky tires. They prevent you from exploring the limits from seeing your mistakes as easily. Just a thought...

One other benefit: track tires are just going to cause more brake issues, fuel starvation issues, etc., which isn't much fun...
I agree, kind of. Track tires don't make a lot of noise when they are about to give way, and when they do break loose, they do it in a very quick fashion, where as street tires make some noise and let you know you are approaching the limits and are a little more forgiving. I would do at least 5 events on streets before upgrading.

As for tire selection, I was using used R888s, but they just didn't last too well. I have since switched to BFG R1s and love them. A little less grip than a hoosier, but not enough less to justify the extra cost of the hoosiers. I run 275/35-18 all around myself.