View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #400 (permalink)
Mt Tam I am
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z T/S/N 6MT & XKE
Mt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
I had the first encounter with ice in the Z last night. Note: this refers to the central Texas version of ice

( Click to show/hide )
Yesterday, we had a nasty cold front come through and drop temps 50+ degrees about 36 hours. It was in the upper 20s yesterday evening with rain turning more and more to freezing rain as I drove the Z through the hill country (FM 620) west of Austin. There wasn't really a danger of ice on the majority of the roads because the weather had been in the 70s the day before. I managed to cruise at or near the speed limit most of the way (50-60 mph). The one spot I was worried at was the bridge near Mansfield Dam. I could tell the bridge was just starting to ice over, but there was still a plenty of unfrozen water on the road surface. What little traffic there was, was driving 10 mph with flashers on as they approached the bridge. I passed them a few mph faster and felt comfortable around 30 mph once I got on the straightaway. Near the end of the bridge, I may have been going to bit faster as I hit a small patch and lost traction for just a moment. I let off the accelerator as the car drifted slightly left and traction was regained in about a second. I slowed down to about 15 mph at the other side of the bridge where it curves to the left and up a hill. I slowed further as I came upon an minor accident scene, but there were plenty of cars already stopped. I continued on my journey with no further worries of ice and got the Z home safe and sound after her very first adventure in icy weather. Considering the tires are at around 40% life, I was extremely pleased with her performance in the weather and on the minimally icy bridge.
I'm happy you are fine and know how to deal with ice. I do not.

RE: I let off the accelerator as the car drifted slightly left and traction was regained in about a second.
Do you come off the gas a little bit or all the way off?
Nissan Motorsports 34R Oil Cooler. Stillen CBE. Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars. KW Variant 3 Coilover System. Stillen Gen3 CAI. Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Stillen Brake Ducts. Carbotech™ XP10/XP8 Pads. Z1 Front Rotors. Z1 Stainless Brake Lines. Two degrees of camber
Mt Tam I am is offline   Reply With Quote