View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #54 (permalink)
Ken in AZ
Base Member

Drives: M45 2006
Ken in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond reputeKen in AZ has a reputation beyond repute

I have the full 370Z Akebono kit on my M45 and participated in a track day event on Firebird's West Track - and they did great with my 4000lb beast. Add me and the car is tipping over 4200lbs! It took me a couple sessions to get warmed up, but the final session I was killing it. I have the Stock 370Z pads, cross drilled and slotted rotors (that I said I would never track with), stainless lines, and they did fine. Coming off the main straight at darn near 95-100mph I would be on the brakes hard and abs would kick on but the feel of the stainless lines made it easy to modulate. I am using DOT4 ATE brake fluid.

The brakes were far exceeding the capabilities of the street tires and felt that with a more controlled suspension and correct tires I could have flogged the braking system more. I would think that the weekend racer could just add stainless lines and some decent fluid and be "ok" on the track. Add in racing tires and a tuned suspension and it could start showing it's weak points.

Oh, and to turn off the ABS can't you just unplug the plug that goes to the ABS actuator under the hood or disconnect one or more of the wheel speed sensors?
Ken in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote