View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #395 (permalink)
blackcherry20
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: ‘17 badazz Z51
blackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
I had the first encounter with ice in the Z last night. Note: this refers to the central Texas version of ice

( Click to show/hide )
Yesterday, we had a nasty cold front come through and drop temps 50+ degrees about 36 hours. It was in the upper 20s yesterday evening with rain turning more and more to freezing rain as I drove the Z through the hill country (FM 620) west of Austin. There wasn't really a danger of ice on the majority of the roads because the weather had been in the 70s the day before. I managed to cruise at or near the speed limit most of the way (50-60 mph). The one spot I was worried at was the bridge near Mansfield Dam. I could tell the bridge was just starting to ice over, but there was still a plenty of unfrozen water on the road surface. What little traffic there was, was driving 10 mph with flashers on as they approached the bridge. I passed them a few mph faster and felt comfortable around 30 mph once I got on the straightaway. Near the end of the bridge, I may have been going to bit faster as I hit a small patch and lost traction for just a moment. I let off the accelerator as the car drifted slightly left and traction was regained in about a second. I slowed down to about 15 mph at the other side of the bridge where it curves to the left and up a hill. I slowed further as I came upon an minor accident scene, but there were plenty of cars already stopped. I continued on my journey with no further worries of ice and got the Z home safe and sound after her very first adventure in icy weather. Considering the tires are at around 40% life, I was extremely pleased with her performance in the weather and on the minimally icy bridge.
oh gosh Jar! You had me nervous just reading this. Too many pics of our cars losing the battle w ice. Happy you came out on top