Thread: Stretched tires
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
TXSpeedDemon
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, 03 MSP, R8 v10
TXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond repute

OP - From a more practical standpoint… you're going to give up some drivability and comfort. I had a 245/35 on a 19.5" and 275/30 on a 10.5" wheel. While technically the tires were wider than the rims there was about a .75"-1" stretch on each side. Not super aggressive but visibly noticeable. I did it this way because I bought the rims/tires before I got my drop and wasn't sure if taller/wider tires would fit.

If you want to run stretched tires safely you have to increase your tire pressure to about 38psi. Again doesn't sound like a huge difference but on a smaller tire it really makes small bumps much harsher.

Also, with the exposed edges of your rims you do have to worry about nicks when going over things like train tracks or potholes as the edge of the rim is much more likely to get damaged then with wider tires. You may also notice extra chips in the clear coat or paint around the outer edge of your rim as these areas will now be exposed to gravel the tires kick up.

I didn't notice any difference in performance or handling, but my rim/tire setup isn't too aggressive and I never had to run more than 2 degrees negative camber.

On the positive side you'll be able to tuck the tires on flush rims better with additional clearance from the fenders without having to increase the negative camber as much.

I've switched out to 245/40 and 275/35 on 9.5" and 10.5" rims. They still have a stretch but not very much. I feel comfortable running them at about 34 psi and haven't had any issues. Ride is a lot more comfortable (also went with softer sidewall tires) and the tuck is nicer too since they fill out the wheel wells a bit more (could probably go even wider in the rear if I had a stiffer suspension - fronts would require removing the inner fender tab which currently rub on big dips).