View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
ElVee
Track Member

Drives: 13 370z 7at t+s grey
ElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the IDx fills the smaller, sporty segment to compete with the Toybaru twins and other up-comers. I'll have to wait until I see the end specs and styling, but I think they'll do just fine in the sub 20-25k sporty segment.

That would leave the Z to be more or less where it was in 2009 when it came out: Cross-shopped with the muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro) and even the sporty cars (Boxster). It surprisingly competed just fine with both groups in 2009. Not sure they can do so today, but that should still be the goal, yes?

I really hope they keep it in that area, where you have some power, you have the sporty handling, and at a price point between those two major groups. It's a really good sweet spot for a low production vehicle that probably couldn't compete directly with either side straight-up. And you throw in two trump cards: sexy looks and at least a really good interior.

I know, preachin' to the choir, but the 370z has been nicely placed thus far. It would be a shame if they mess with that too much.

If there's room for movement, I would say you move the 370Z upwards a bit and make sure it's a Corvette-alternative (surely not as powerful, but as a driver's car, make it a target) and continues to dance at Porsche's heels. It's not like it's going to suddenly get near GTR cost or performance such that it will steal sales. While the 370Z is a baby Godzilla, it's not anywhere close to growing into one. And that's fine.
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote