View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #59 (permalink)
1slow370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: v8 74 260z ;)
1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute1slow370 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant say design specifics in detail but i can give you a list of what makes a manifold a masterpiece.

Engineering is number one with the given space, it should be engineered for maximum performance for the application and as much time as possible should be given to its design. Drawing something up in cad that looks nice and should work based on past experience in a different application and basic design rules, then running it into production does not fit this criteria. Cfd, flow benching, harmonics, testing with different engine combinations, dynoing and real life testing, tweaking it to draw out those last few percent, mitigating any variables that effect the consistancy of performance, these are things that move any designed peice from being good to being a masterpiece. This is the combination of both research into what is happening and development to maximize it.

Build construction not mattering what it is made of should be designed to allow the part to best perform it functions without adding downside as much as possible. In manifold design this is a give and take with cost and sales but on a masterpiece, cost is secondary to all else. In all things a masterpiece does not regard cost divincii took years to paint his works if it wasnt perfect it wasnt acceptable. The term masterpiece is attached to such a level of work.

Because of your budget on this you dont have the time or resources required to move this manifold into the masterpiece area. I doubt we will ever see a manifold like that for our cars because the sales volume and profits are so low. When you say i dont know what it will do on an na car you basically are saying you havent spent the time to figure out what it will do and will instead just wait to see what happens and live with the result. Even in boosted applications through your design process do you have a goal in the percentage of power increase over the factory manifold? What usually happens in cases like this is you draw the best part you can based on past experience and just hope it makes as much of a difference as possible and since you had no real goals so long as it makes a noticeable amount more power than stock it isnt a failure right? Im sure it will be a good manifold the basics of design are visible and you are doing the best you can with your available resources.

So your standpoint is that no better manifold for a turbo 370z will ever be made and that makes this a masterpiece is that right?

Edit: thought you were talking about your own CAD photo, As for that manifold I hardly know much about that particular manifold and I don't consider myself a judge on this just that in my opinion things should be held to a much higher standard if you are to call it a masterpiece, That manifold does sound very promising from the standpoint that those are some of the highest gains I have ever heard of for a manifold to replace the already VERY good ls7 manifold with only the manifold being changed If those figures are true it is roughly an 11% gain vs the best performing factory ls manifold in the same conditions. Can't say if it is a masterpiece but can your manifold come close to an 11% bump in power on a factory motor? that would be equivalent to a manifold that adds 31hp to a factory stock Z.
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50

Last edited by 1slow370; 01-19-2014 at 08:36 PM.
1slow370 is offline   Reply With Quote