View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

We played with the idea of putting the GT-R manifold on the car. Only because so many of you guys wanted it. I think the GT-R manifold is sort of lousy... well, as far any sort of upgrade that is. So I set a strict limit on how much Brandon and I would invest into it.

So we made a CNC fixture to hold the VHR lower runners in the CNC. We machined it down and down 1/4" at a time. The idea was to go down until the runners were closer to round than square, and than machine a thick plate to weld onto what was left that interpolated its way up to a GT-R manifold flange. This would have been a very cost effective way to do it, and the rules were that it had to use stock and CJM fuel rails so that it was ONLY a manifold project, not fuel system too.

Long story short, it was not possible to do it this way, LOL. It was almost embarrassing because initial assessments made it look so possible. Ill post pictures of it on FB one day. We wasted a brand new VHR lower collector and made a fixture that simulates the cylinder heads to bolt it down to.

So that was it. It was clear to me that it would be a poor decision to waste resources on putting a mediocre manifold somewhere that it doesn't belong.. rather than focusing those resources on a supreme manifold that fits right at home!

It will be several weeks before you see me say a whole lot more about this intake manifold. Initial steps are just being taken. I am waiting for foundry estimates on the cast runners. I have a material order going in tomorrow to start building the bottom flanges. Until the cast runners can exist, I am able to manufacture them through machining and fabrication.

This project has nothing to do with ITBs... but if the project is able to help people with ITB projects, I can sidestep a little. Perhaps some mild changes to the bottom flange I designed there would assist people with ITB projects.