View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #69 (permalink)
bigaudiofanat
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
OK,
Bose spkrs are typically very low ohmage to maximize the power from the 12V rail. If you connect higher ohmage speakers then the available voltage is divided across a higher impedance/resistance, causing less power to be available from the amplifier. P = V2/R, so if the voltage stays the same (relatively speaking) then the R produces a lower power number.
Running higher impedance speakers only lessens the power output, running speakers with lower rated impedance can cause the R number to get too low and cause the power to exceed the heatsink capability of the amplifier, causing repeated thermal events and eventually damaging the amplifier.

The end goal is to select speakers that match the ideal load for the amplifier, that produce the desired frequency response, and hopefully you've selected speakers with high efficiency, i.e., if you have speakers that are 90 dB efficiency, then if you substitute 93 dB speakers, it's like getting twice the sound pressure level with the same speaker.
Also, if you have one 90 dB efficiency speaker and add another 90 dB speaker, then your SPL level will increase 3 dB.
I get what your sying but not all their speakers are lower ohms I know the standard is 2 ohms for them but I have seen them range from 10-2 and to take the risk of running aftermarket speakers on their amp is not something I would even do for any of my customers and I do not recommend people do it either. Not to mention your not getting anywhere near the quality of sound they are capable of with the bose omitting frequencies
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote