View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
dtul
Base Member

Drives: n/a
dtul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@CJM View Post
I personally would get the z still. If you want more power then get a turbo kit installed. The z car's don't need very much to compete with GTR, 911, Ect.

If your not the type of person that likes to modify car's then maybe look into the GTR ect.. Just remember how much more simple maintain will cost.
Yeah, that is true that is another option I was considering, just going nuts with the engine mods to the Z. Actually this is the most likely option for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Unless you have some serious confidence that the recent income raise you mentioned will last long enough to eventually pay off the car, cover insurance, upkeep, etc., I'd get the Z and put the rest in the bank for now.

In short, get what you can honestly afford while thinking ahead a bit and being able to still make ends comfortably meet.
Well I can comfortably afford them now, I'm just trying to set a rule for myself that I won't spend more than two months of income on any one car, and I'm close but just won't be at the point for another month or so. The obvious smarter choice is to just get the Z like you said, and the rational part of me says to go that way, but it is also telling me that I may end up selling it two months down the road and getting a GTR then and I then I'll be frustrated that I hadn't just waited and lost $3-4k on the Z for no real reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps58 View Post
A new Z will still cost less than a pre owned Porsche.
That's true, but I'm buying a new car whatever I get.

Another option I am considering is possibly trying to buy a 6MT instead of the auto. I ordered the 7AT because at the time I thought it would be my only car for a year or so, however I have always wanted to make a Z track car in the future. If i can negotiate it with the dealer I may try and get a 6MT instead and drive that for a couple months, then get whatever I want and focus on building the Z into a dedicated track car over the next year or so. Any of you guys have experience using a Z for that purpose?