View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #49 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Nismo#91 View Post
So your going to drive at no more then 10 mph during the winter on the highway, which is the speed they did the test at.? And all your ice is going to be nice dry ice rink ice during the winter. I agree with the results that winter tires help and are much better then summer tires but that test is not practical real world conditions.

If you hit a patch of wet ice like you have during or just after an ice storm on the highway your not going to stop in 10' shown in the test, more like a few hundred if your lucky enough to be on a flat area of pavement.
When did I say that? I said within the speed limit I drive! And in corners where the yellow signs say 35mph "recommended" I do it. Never once an issue.

Yes it is practical. A ice rink is worse than real world. Real world has ice and snow and salt and bumps of ice and snow etc all to which give more grip than 100% pure ice. It also shows the performance of an ice/snow tire is double the performance of a summer tire no matter the speed. The OP would not of crashed plain and simple. No **** you wouldn't stop at 10 feet on the highway. That's not what where talking about. But I'd rather stop in 100 feet than 200 feet! And who the hell brakes 100% always on ice? You don't! You slow down and with the right tire you can manuver for whatever you need to do. Since an ice/snow tires has a ton of grip in bad weather you can avoid pretty much any situation.