View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #388 (permalink)
Mt Tam I am
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z T/S/N 6MT & XKE
Mt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond repute

As I left work coming by was a red 458 Ferrari. I suddenly became excited that I might be able to catch up and drive with him. Three cars separated us. I was talking to myself ex. "get out of the way", "let's make the light" , Nooo". After a two blocks or so I ended up behind the Italia. I wished for my camera.

A way down the road somebody signaled left and waited for an opening in traffic which stopped the two of us. Meanwhile the car just ahead moseyed along. Once the car completed the left the Ferrari waited another five plus seconds revved the engine and took off quickly but not crazy. I followed until we caught the car ahead which turned off leaving us alone on a 180 degree sweeping left which the moment you exit becomes a 55 MPH zone. I was applying gas towards exit and was WOT at exit. So was the 458. It was so cool. I didn't gain or fall back on this tiny straight uphill. We caught up to a car ahead driving 25-30 MPH so the Ferrari would slow down and run through his F1 gear box drive at a snails pace then speed up and catch the slowpoke.

At a pull out, the Ferrari pulled off the road and I did too he made a bit more room too. I got out, or tried with the auto locking doors, then approached the car. He rolled down his window and I extended my hand and we shook. I thanked him for playing with me. He was a bit younger than I, with his lady beside him who was friendly too. He told me they were out for an evening jaunt at sunset or similar word, and would I like to tag along. Without hesitation, said yes and rushed back to my car. He even allowed me to get my seat belt back on and then we were off.

When the road bifurcated he went left. The road less traveled. I have not driven this direction in several years. I prefer coming up this way as opposed to down as we now went, because the chances of driving without encountering tourist traffic is minimal.

Here is the part of the story where we Z folks can not compete. Every car pulled over for the Ferrari where normally you in your stupid Datsun will just have to wait. Even BMW's. It was amazing.

One thing that impressed me was that the Z did so well accelerating with him from 25. What impressed me about the 458 was the entry speed of a turn he could negotiate without trail braking. I was at the limit and he was not.

Eventually we met a militant type that would not budge so the Ferrari would hang back for a minute and then shift down into first gear, which gave me a warning, and then chase the Element down again and again. I kept thinking he would ignore the double yellow and pass but to his credit, he did not.

I could not stand the thought of unknown miles behind this rainbow flagged Honda, so I waved, flashed lights, honked and signaled to turn right up a head. Sadly he did not. Goodbye South Dakota* plate Italia1. I chose the better road. For the next 15 minutes I ran all out without a single car or bike. in the way. I got home and felt like I might be (car) sick for a couple minutes. I truly tossed myself around.

For all of you who put your Z's into hibernation, I feel for you. Remember this is the first time in my life when an unknown Ferrari chose to drive with me so this is extremely rare.

* He probably lives here in California but saved thousands of dollars registering there.
Nissan Motorsports 34R Oil Cooler. Stillen CBE. Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars. KW Variant 3 Coilover System. Stillen Gen3 CAI. Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Stillen Brake Ducts. Carbotech™ XP10/XP8 Pads. Z1 Front Rotors. Z1 Stainless Brake Lines. Two degrees of camber
Mt Tam I am is offline   Reply With Quote