View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #328 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Very nice. Do you have a ball park figure on price?
That is a really good question. This project will have a lot of material removal compared to what I am generally used to.

My software is telling me that I am starting with a 24lb block of aluminum, and making it 3.5-4lb. So thats about 20lbs of aluminum shavings I have to make per piece.

I have to balance the realistic value of the item too. This part does not make power, it does not increase performance, you can hardly even see it when installed. Yet, if one guy walked in my door and asked me to make just one of these custom for him, it would probably be $1200 with reverse engineering and CAD work and all.

I could take a stock cover, machine off the lower half except keep the flange, and weld in a billet section with all the added features, and it could be quite a bit cheaper.

What would you guys say if I asked $450 for the full billet cover? I have seen a place that makes them for DSM/EVO etc and they go for $400, for a much more flat/simple cover applications (much easier to machine).