View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
HKYStormFront
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 06 Frontier SE 6spd
HKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to HKYStormFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BlueMax View Post
Well the reviews on the new Impala SS are in & they are glowing to say the least, but its still a variant of the last holden & styling isn't great even with a 5 year absent it doesn't look quite as good as a 09 GXP. I heard GM is halting production of the holden in 2017 bad news for the Aussies, & the new SS costs between 40 & 46K with limited production. They may do a manual before its done & maybe just maybe a 2 door.
It's not an "Impala SS", it's just an "SS". Yes it's a quote-unquote a spiritual successor to that car from the early 90's but it has nothing to do with the current Impala at all. The Impala SS was based on the same car as the regular Impala of the time, just hopped up on performance and looks. Holden is done in 2017 but the new VF platform is supposedly done either next year (2015) or the year after so the SS will be even shorter than that. Supposedly they are targeting 2k or so SS' imported a year so looks like 4-6k max depending on sales. I'm not sure where you are getting this info but GM has clearly stated recently there will not be a manual transmission option nor any two door variants. The two door variant is the current Camaro. Why would they make a two door SS? It's the same platform.

The importing thing is based on a promise GM made to Holden that they would export X,xxx number of cars to other countries to guarantee enough sales to sustain development of the VF platform for Holden. That's why Europe gets the Vauxhall version of the car, etc. Sadly, the SS will probably be one of the last big displacement RWD V8 sedans likely to ever be sold in the US. Sure we'll have small displacement turbo cars but it's not going to be the same, especially with auto and dual clutch only cars. I love a good dual clutch transmission but I prefer the driver involvement of 3 pedals, one of the biggest reason I wanted one of these cars!