View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Z&I
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '09 370z 6MT FI
Z&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the roughZ&I is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi90210 View Post
im just gonna say this

the stillen kit doesnt suck, its a great kit if you plan on never modifying your car after that, with the stillen kit there is no room to grow and increase power like the GTM kit, and most of the people who have problems with the stillen kit have it modified and pushing way more power than it can handle, its a 50 state legal supercharger that does what it says

heck back when i was looking into the stillen supercharger, all the people i talked to(RCZ and a couple G37 owners i saw outside stillen when i went for a test ride with Kyle@stillen) loved the kit and didnt have it modified outside of its limits(RCZ being the only guy who modified the kit with a 9lb pulley)

and yes i have told you i dont like the stillen kit, but its not the same reasons why you dont like them, i dont like it because there is no room to grow without major modifications to the kit(even than its really risky), and it doesnt have that clean look the GTM kit has

Thanks for the post !!!

You are right - Stillen doesn't grow - but I chose it over the GTM (at the time) because GTM didn't offer a complete package and therefore could become more complicated.
It was more convenient and at the time I wasn't thinking of racing it.

Am interested in that 9lb pulley ... who & where? ... I know Stillen positively doesn't offer one.
Need to know if the SC'r itself could handle the extra rpm.

Have been reading that some of the TT guys are getting up to 11lbs (would be nice) but don't know if they have done the internals.

To consolidate some more info requests :

The car is a 2009 ... Base Sport...and was my daily driver for 3 years.
Installed the Stillen SC'r early in 2011...(30k miles since then) went with the Stillen tune at first.
It was in the shop for nearly 3 weeks with other work being done.

The dyno wasn't working so I took it home with the proviso to drive it a few weeks and bring it back for checking and tweaking and dyno at that time...but the dyno was still broke.

The Stillen tune was conservative so went to UpRev ... it made a difference ...
The next up mod was the PPI long tube headers / cat delete.

They adjusted the tune and once again picked up the car without the dyno being done...was told tho' that it was in the 500-525 hp range ... an educated guess.

The car was running good and strong so I never pushed the issue ... (don't recommend doing a tune without the dyno) but these guys are good and have done a ton of SC'r installs without any issues or problems.
It was still my daily driver and I wasn't tracking it or pushing it past recommended limits ...
Wanted to avoid the hassle of arranging for a rental car and wasn't too worried about the actual dyno results.

This past year has been a different story - have been taking it to the track and am once again bitten by the 'go faster : give me more power' bug.
Ran a 12.4 @ 116 with a disappointing 2.002 60' time as is...need to control the launch a little better.

It's in the shop now for a Line Lock installation and VDC/ABLS disable...getting it ready for next season.
Also found out that the UpRev tune has a provision for disabling the throttle/brake limiter (prevents the car from overrevving at no to slow speeds - a necessary requirement for drag racing)
There is a lot I've been learning about the car especially this past year.

Will get that Dyno Done fer sure this time now that it is going back to the track in the spring.

Hope this contributes to the thread.

Bob

Last edited by Z&I; 01-02-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Z&I is offline   Reply With Quote