View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
H2O_Doc
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '14 370Z, '12 4Runr
H2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I would like to do 6x9s, bigaudio makes some speaker pods that fit in the little cubby holes behind the seats that are pretty awesome.

Zdayz 2014!!
6x9s will fit in the doors. Pods can be made to accommodate 6x9s if you'd rather have them behind the seats.

While there is a lot of argument about oval versus round speakers and sound quality (some true, some hype), I will say that it is important to base your choices on what you are trying to do (I like a pretty warm sound I can't get easily from 6.5s); often the quality differences between 6x9s and 6.5s are products of build quality and specs and not shape or size. Kraco and other manufacturers of cheap speakers have really hurt the perception of 6x9s. Anyway, first and foremost is the quality of the speaker (whatever the size and shape). I like to keep costs down as best as possible, but always try to hunt for a good value and not just a low price.

I put some JBLs in the doors a couple of weeks ago that I got for 70% off. These were on sale because the are being rebranded; I'll take that kind of deal any day. I don't run the coaxial tweeters; I have a crossover and run a separate tweeter in the dash. I have a similar setup behind the seats with drivers mounted on the little shelf and tweeters in the holes in the B-pillar (crossover as well). I'd really like BAF to work up some nice custom pods one day. Actually, I'd like to drive up and have him tweak my system as well; fine tuning can make a HUGE difference in a system and, at the end of the day, I'm a biologist with a box full of audio that I'm installing and tuning with a butter knife.

Oh, and to finish off, here comes the trunk of funk:
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote