View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #43 (permalink)
vh1
Base Member

Drives: 14 Nissan 370Z MB M6
vh1 is on a distinguished road

I just got done driving my '14 Sport back to back with a '09 Cayman (not S), this weekend on Mulholland Drive.

The Cayman had about 55K miles on it, so it was well used. From an engine perspective, it had less low RPM power and really wanted to be revved. I was short shifting at 4K in my Z and keeping up pretty well coming out of the corners. The brakes on the Z provide much more better stopping power compared to the Porsche. These two points were confirmed by the Porsche driver who took my car out for a quick spin down the mountain. The steering rack on the Porsche had some play in it, so the Z definitely felt more direct, but gave up a very little bit of feel at the very limit, coming into the apex.

A used Cayman was on my short list of cars to buy, before picking the Z about 2 weeks ago. The thing that pushed me toward the Z was the potential IMS (Intermediate Shaft Seal) and RMS (Rear Main Seal) problems reported on various Porsche forums and the expense of changing out really expensive parts like the fuel pump, down the road. Engine Swap/Rebuild = $20K.

In the end, after trying the Cayman I am 100% positive I made the right decision by going with the Z.

P.S. - A well driven 370Z on a back road has nothing to fear from an average driver in a Porsche!

2014 370Z - Midnight Blue, FI Twin Turbo, Specialty Z 6 Puck Clutch, eboost2, Swift Springs, SPL Front Arms and Rear Camber Arm, SPC Toe Bolt, FI CBE w/18 Resonators and Res HFC
vh1 is offline   Reply With Quote