View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
Firebase99
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 14 3.8 Gen Coupe GT
Firebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond reputeFirebase99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts View Post
I've owned both and both are really nice cars. If money isn't a big concern I believe the Cayman S is the better car on almost every count. But, it isn't better by a lot and the money difference can be significant. It isn't just the cost of entry (ie an older used Cayman S entry cost is about the same as a newer Z), but rather running costs IF something goes wrong. A Cayman crate motor is about $15k, a replacement PDK tranny is about $18k. Heck the specific transaxle fluid for a Cayman is about $60/qt. I had a motor dynamite on me and that isn't a fun check to write I can tell you.

I've been lucky enough to own multiple Porsches and I don't believe there is anything like them out there. The real test isn't the initial drive in my opinion, but after you've driven one regularly for a week or two and then you get back into something else.....wow you miss the Porsche. This includes the Cayenne.....an ugly SOB in my opinion, but mine was probably the best all around daily driver I've owned.

I think of the Z as 85-90% of the car as the Cayman S for 50% of the cost or less over time. For most, the Z just makes more sense and it is a heck of a nice car in its own right.
Very well stated. Pretty much sums it up. Is that a 993 you got there?
Firebase99 is offline   Reply With Quote