Thread: MN Z owners...
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #466 (permalink)
silverbulletZ
Base Member

Drives: 350Z
silverbulletZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnz View Post
Never heard of anyone ever saying problems from condensation, cause wouldn't that happen to everyone else that drives in the winter also? I just do it so the fluids don't and don't get clogged anywhere. Kinda what lance said, motors are made to be running. But i haven't took my battery out yet, is that something i should do or i should be safe just starting it up once a week?
Just let the car be... If you plan on leaving it stored for awhile (6 months) just make sure that:

1. Gas tank is full with Stabil in the tank and a fresh oil change

2. Make sure tire pressure is full or even better have it on jack stands to eliminate possible square spots on tires (shouldn't be a problem if psi is at max and check it often)

3. If you plan on leaving the battery in the car disconnect the negative cable and if possible throw a battery tender on it. (Otherwise what I do is I put mine on the charger for a couple hours than bring it inside and when the time comes to take the car out I put it back on the charger again before hooking it up)

4. Throw some fabric softener sheets in the Z ( it deters animals and smells good after you have to take the Z out)

5. Plug the exhaust tips with a rag of some sort (optional, but further prevents animals from getting inside the motor if you have a pest problem)

6. Always make sure the Z is fully washed and waxed before putting away

I've been storing vehicles forover 10 years and never have I started my vehicles while they were in storage. If you have to start it up it's best to let it run for over 1/2 and hour just so that it does burn up the moisture. THIS IS ANOTHER REASON WHY I DO NOT START MY VEHICLES IN THE WINTER... JUST LEAVE IT BE.

One last option you can do if you're mechanically inclined is take out each spark plug and spray a mist of WD 40 in the cylinders to prevent rusting then insert the plug again. But I only recommend that if you plan on storing it for a year..

I should also mention that you DO NOT want to have the ebrake set while the car is in storage, the brake pads could stick to the rotors.

Last edited by silverbulletZ; 12-25-2013 at 06:23 PM.
silverbulletZ is offline   Reply With Quote