View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
import111
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z
import111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond reputeimport111 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to import111
Default my 370Z's 1 track day...impressions...video

Took the Z to Firebird east course yesterday for the 370Z's maiden track day. Also my 1st time at FIR east. The course was a lot of fun. Lots of traffic so I didn't get many 100% hot laps in, but that's ok cause I was learning the track...though at 1 point I was 10 seconds slower than my previous pace due to traffic, which seems very slow. Only my 1st and 3rd sessions were recorded on video. My 1st session was orange group and 3rd session was red (along with 2nd and 4th that weren't recorded).

YouTube - FIR Ryan Red Session Part 1
YouTube - FIR Ryan Red Session Part 2
YouTube - FIR Ryan Orange Session Part 1
YouTube - FIR Ryan Orange Session Part 2

Impressions of the car:
Brakes - The brakes held up really well. I used Motul RBF600 fluid (same fluid I used in my 05 STi) and Carbotech XP-10's F/R (I used PFC-01's in the STi). I never got any fade and never had the ABS issues some people have reported having with the 370Z. I would actually have to say my braking distance was my strong point at the track compared to most people. The XP-10's are VERY grabby and if I was too aggressive the tires seems to lock up more than I remember on my STi.

Oil temps - I made sure I had the Stillen "Race" oil cooler installed before I did any track days with the Z. It worked very well. Ambient temp was around 85 ish and the oil temps never passed 240 degrees, and at times I was pushing 90-95%.

Engine - Everything else under the hood seemed fine...though the power steering fluid was either boiling or swirling around in there, though I never felt a change in steering all day so I thought nothing of it. Power seemed pretty good for the track. Having F.I. CBE and Berk HFC's helping out over stock helps I am sure.

Diff. - I have read people over heating the diff. and it acting like an open diff. when this happens. I did not experience this at all, though since it was my 1st time at this track I was not pushing 100%. I was able to put the power down well which was a ? for me coming from AWD...I was not sure how I would do with RWD at a track day, but it was great.

Everything else - I kept at least 3/4 of a tank of fuel in the car at all times to avoid the fuel starvation issues I have been reading about. Since this car gets such great gas mileage on the track (STi got about 4mpg on track), I might just keep doing this so I don't need to spend the $ on a surge tank or anything like that. BC BR series coilovers worked great and did their job well. Stock tires did better than I thought, though I am anxious for better tires. Overall I am very happy and can't wait for another track day in the 370Z.
import111 is offline   Reply With Quote