View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
XPEL
Base Member

Drives: Various
XPEL is on a distinguished road
Default Clear Bra What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxtpin View Post
Aye - My fellow Z owners, I'm in a situation where I'd like to gauge what others would do. I've had my Z for about a year now, it's still in fantastic condition all around, less than 10k miles, when I don't have it out it gets garaged, etc. Shortly after purchasing the Z I found out about clear-bras for and figured it'd be a good way to protect my investment.

After several quick detailings over the last couple of months I noticed a number of rock chips/pits on the front bumper and leading hood area. I expected these - stuff happens - but I'm unsure of the best path to take.

Option 1: I could find a body shop or cheap kit to repair the rock chips/pits as best as possible, and then have the clear-bra installed. I'm unsure if the clear-bra will highlight these imperfections and make them look worse (air bubbles, etc), or make them less noticeable.

Option 2: Get a full respray on the front bumper and hood, and then have the clear-bra installed. Problem in this situation is cost.

Option 3: Forget both options above and keep the car as clean as possible in-between drives as I do now. I mention this option because there's a high chance that in 3-4 years I'll trade the Z in for something new.

Any thoughts on what you'd do in my situation? Or recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
If you are going to get rid of the car, touch-up the chips with a novice kit like Dr. Colorchip or the Langka system and be done with it. If you plan to keep the car, have the bumper painted and have a professional clear bra installer put it on. The LAST thing you want to do is put a clear bra on a car with paint chips that have been fixed. That's like going on a date with Halle Barry and instead of taking a shower first, you just gob on some cologne. Nasty.

I do mine differently. I just paint my bumper every year after the driving season is over because I drive the crap out of my car. The catch is, I know how to paint cars.

What most people do is Option 1. But there's some truth in what Junkman2008 said. If you're going to get them touched up make sure it's professionally done and looks great. Paint protection film doesn't make them more noticeable but doesn't make rock chips any less noticeable either. Scratches and swirl marks will be much less visible however.

Adding clear bra to the vehicle will help prevent future damage, and if you plan on selling the car in the future it will help preserve resale value.