View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
03threefiftyz
Track Member

Drives: 03 350z 6mt
03threefiftyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
Depends on track first then spring/coil setting for the tire

So if you will bottom out adjust the coils/springs fittingly then not too stiff depending on what the tire can handle...

Stiffer and lower setups are more for road courses

Stock height/no sway bars/high spring settings/slicks are for auto x setups...helps with turn in

you can go here
Nissan Road Racing Forums - Powered by vBulletin
No, most classes are camber limited for Z. The camber is more important than the ruined roll centers in autocross (especially on concrete). We lower the car as much as possible that doesn't run out of shock travel and/or cut the tire down. You also won't find a Z racing on this planet that does not have a front roll bar. I tested 4 different ones myself.

There are a million variables on how to set the car up for a given purpose (road race, autox, etc). Rules for the class generally trump your initial set-up goals, so you make some sacrifices along the way.

For heavily aero'd cars, by that I mean flat bottom, front air damn splitter/winglets, multi tiered rear wings, etc), the ride height is CRITICAL! The aero grip from maintaining proper ride height (something like 4-6cm) trumps mechanical grip from a softer set-up. That said, you still want the springs as soft as you can go to maintain this.

Suspension set-up is also heavily dependent on tires. If you are going to run 300mm super soft avon hillclimb tires, you are going to have to run a much different set-up than 400tw michelins.

My car is probably a full 2" lower than stock (this is with very short motons at the time). Even though the one side is loaded, you can see that the other side is off the ground, but all that much higher than what a factory ride height would be. 1000lb spring on the front/ 850lb in the rear. A little on the soft side for concrete at 2900lbs and 315 A compound hoosiers. If you tried to run this set-up on a road course as is, it would be a hell of handful.
03threefiftyz is offline   Reply With Quote