View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
2ZORNT2Z
Base Member

Drives: 14 Nissan 370Z Sport
2ZORNT2Z is on a distinguished road

Having done the same type of searching before I bought my first race helmet, I'll lend my own opinions:

Your budget of $150-200 is appropriate for an M2005 rated helmet only. As others have posted, you'll definitely want an SA-2005 rated helmet for full track events, such as HPDE. Expect to spend about $250 to $500 for a good starter helmet.

As far as brands, here are the ones you should focus on:
On a budget, Pyrotect cannot be beat. It's what I own, and I've been very pleased. It does take a little bit of time to "break in" the inner lining material, but the more you use it the more comfortable it will become.
Next up, G-Force. They have a little more style, and are priced just a little above Pyrotect. G-Force also comes in black, as opposed to the standard white that you'll find most helmets in. Black might be a little cooler if you use it for motorcycle riding also.
Bell is a very well known name for all types of helmets, and racing is no exception. They are a little bit more pricey, but have a variety of styles, some that may fit your preference better.

Lastly, about Arai. Arai helmets are hands down the best helmets in the world. They are used in all forms of motorsport, including Formula 1. The reason that some say they "fit" better is because of the materials that they use for the inner lining. There is no pressure that is applied to the cheeks, even right out of the box. I don't know exactly what the material is, but that alone makes me wish I could afford one. They are grossly expensive. M-rated helmets go for $400 and up, while full face helmets around around $900 to $1000.

Lastly, on fitments. I understand that you may not live near a distributor, but there are many other places you can go to try on standard helmet sizes. Go Kart tracks are a great place (there are lots in So-Cal, including Dromo 1 in Orange County). Another is a regular SCCA auto-x (though the season is basically over). Each will have helmets in a variety of sizes that you can borrow and try on to find out what your size is.

If you're looking for a good retailer, I've bought gear from Saferacer.com in the past and have been very pleased.
2ZORNT2Z is offline   Reply With Quote