View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #254 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you guys say this is not for a street car? 375whp is great for all-motor and all, but I am perfectly cool with 700-800rwhp street cars!

The advantage of reliability at higher RPM is precisely the goal. If not for that goal, there would be absolutely no sense in removing the VVEL heads. The drive-ability of a HR without VVEL isn't so poor that you should say its no good for a street car, lol! Its still much better than most import cars. VQ's have rather decent torque due to the VVT system. The lift is the only thing that would be gone.

HR cams should not be put in a VHR motor. Obviously the intake cams could never go in since the VHR does not have anywhere to place them. The VHR exhaust cams are offset from the valve centerlines and require a special profile because of it. (According to Jim Wolf, I have not measured it myself). Therefore HR cams shouldn't be installed to a VHR even if they did fit.

I would not use the VTC on exhaust for HR head swap. The exhaust VTC is the main complexity of the HR swap, and to not bring it with would make life much cleaner and easier.

Exhaust VTC is all about emissions, and does little to no good for power and torque.

Here is the phunk's style of HR head swap. VHR timing covers. VHR exhaust cam gears. VHR intake "cam" gears with trigger. VHR timing covers. HR cam sensor positions in the valvecovers plugged. Stock 370z harness and ECU. This is my plan and how I will be attempting it. No guarantees it all fits or works, or what the VHR computer will do when the VVEL solenoids are gone. But I will let you all know! I am pretty confident that this is going to be the winning formula for me based on what I have compared and looked at. Of course, I can just machine custom parts if needed somewhere. EDIT: forgot to mention. Let me also say that another big perk of ditching the exhaust VTC is that I should still be able to run VHR style pistons. That is a big one right there. I have to confirm valve placement but I say its most likely to work.

Last edited by phunk; 12-18-2013 at 09:29 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote