View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #55 (permalink)
critical
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09' 370z 7AT
critical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud ofcritical has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan370z View Post
Your statement is wrong.

the same exhaust heat is being thrown down the exhaust. it does not matter cats or not ... I shouldn't have added in my statement about heat because its wrong... because you cannot produce more heat after the combustion is done .... that 600F+ you are talking about is just at that location the heat will generally be (as per what you are saying) at 600F in the cats .. if you have a cats at the Y-pipe (xyz y-pipe) the heat will be less.. because its farther down the stream ....
well oxidation is taking place in the cat and it's an exothermic reaction (more heat)

regardless cats are not going to be helping exhaust velocity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi90210 View Post
while im not doubting the stock muffler blowing

test pipes make your exhaust run cooler since there is no cat, cats heat up the exhaust since they need to run at 600F+ in order to work

i think it cant handle the extra flow if anything
cats don't heat up the exhaust to work; when they work they heat up the exhaust.

the engine advances timing to get exhaust gases hot enough for the cats to work.

Last edited by critical; 12-17-2013 at 03:58 AM.
critical is offline   Reply With Quote