View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #53 (permalink)
luigi90210
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Classified
luigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan370z View Post
Your statement is wrong.

the same exhaust heat is being thrown down the exhaust. it does not matter cats or not ... I shouldn't have added in my statement about heat because its wrong... because you cannot produce more heat after the combustion is done .... that 600F+ you are talking about is just at that location the heat will generally be (as per what you are saying) at 600F in the cats .. if you have a cats at the Y-pipe (xyz y-pipe) the heat will be less.. because its farther down the stream ....
can you explain why the inlet to a cat is always cooler than the outlet to the cat?

when testing cats using a temperature gun, the best way to know if a cat is functioning is to measure the inlet of the cat and measure the outlet, the outlet is almost always 100+ hotter than the inlet

that alone tells me EGTs are higher leaving cats than they are entering them

im not saying you're wrong, im just giving my observation from what i have learned taking the auto classes i have been taking so i can get my ASE certification

Last edited by luigi90210; 12-17-2013 at 01:15 AM.
luigi90210 is offline   Reply With Quote