Thread: Smashed my Z
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Da.Menace
Track Member

Drives: people crazy
Da.Menace is on a distinguished road

I do insurance claims for a certain repair shop, and this is my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKHRYDE View Post
Hey Guys,
So he said instead of him paying the dealer 20% (and he said he wants the business bc the dealer wont give it to him since they have their own partners) - he can use that money towards upgrades on my car and actually give me better stuff.
True, though that also means the repair shop is risking them being challenged if the insurance company believes that they did not purchase parts which was specified in the claim/appraisal by the insurance comapny. A risk that you or the repair shop takes. The insurance company may ask the shop (in random cases) to provide proof of purchase of replacement parts.

Quote:
I asked if he will be using all genuine Nissan parts.
He said "honesty - No"
Insurance company will, in most cases, appraise and quote with genuine replacement parts, unless it is unavailable to purchase. If he said non-genuine parts will be used while the insurance company, and yourself, has requested to do so, then he is cheating money off you.

Quote:
He said things like the sensors and such will all have to come from Nissan.
Correct, as there are very limited aftermarket replacement for those.

Quote:
But a Nissan bumper for example might cost $700 and aftermarket one would cost like $200
The insurance appraiser will usually quote for a genuine Nissan replacement, unless the damage is repairable, or if genuine parts is not available. Insurance company usually do not substitute with aftermarket parts in their quote. Although you can choose to get an aftermarket replacement when dealing with the repair shop, the difference in price "should be" reported back to the insurance company, so they could properly adjust the payment. Otherwise, it is considered as insurance scam. (Another risk to take).

Quote:
Basically he said the appraiser is not going to give the full value of the parts - so they have to use aftermarket stuff but can use really good stuff ....
100% false statement. Insurance company will ALWAYS pay for full value of replacement parts. In some of the cases i've worked on, the insurance company undervalued some parts, and I had to tell them to readjust the difference based on invoice paid prices (For example, an airbag module was valued by insurance company @ $500. The shop had to pay $650 as the prices from insurance company was incorrect. I had to forward the invoice to the insurance company and get the difference back, and they are more than willing to do so).

Quote:
Or should I just take the car to Nissan dealer and have them fix it?
It is up to you where you want to fix your car. If you want "upgrades" while claiming insurance, be sure to note that you are getting your car repaired at a place where you can trust, and not some random tow truck driver's recommendation.

Remember, you paid your insurance to cover your car with all original parts. Take no substitutes with lesser made parts. IF the insurance company did quote you with aftermarket parts, you have the right to fight with them, and get genuine parts instead.

Last edited by Da.Menace; 12-12-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Da.Menace is offline   Reply With Quote