View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all
Default Z1 2-Piece Rotors and Carbotech 1521 Pads

Thanks to the lovely black friday sale at Z1, I got my hands on a few brake goodies this year:

Of course, these are the 20-lb (And they are indeed 20 lbs, I weighed both of em!) 2-piece rotors, in drilled and slotted fashion, accompanied with Carbotech "Bobcat" 1521 street pads, and a bottle of Motul of which I ended up not having to use, as I didn't lose enough fluid to warrant a refill.

I've been driving on this setup for the past 300 or so miles, and after the initial break-in right after installation, as per Carbotech, the stopping power feels incredible. The initial bite is hard and travels linear afterwards, and the fade doesn't come on until many hard stops. A much needed improvement over stock.

The car is also quicker on its feet - shaving 20 lbs of rotational weight is a big deal in terms of acceleration and suspension performance!

I have to report however, that the pads did squeak - no, HOWL, for the first 250 miles at speeds below 8 mph. Trust me, I got very awkward looks at stop lights. After this, however, I applied that red break squeak medic stuff, and since then, they only squeak at low speeds occasionally, and when they do, it's a quiet, livable squeak. I honestly debated selling the pads at a loss and going OEM, but now I am okay with them.

And here's some gratuitous shots of the installed product: