View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #119 (permalink)
NickTurnon
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 BS 7AT 370z
NickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to NickTurnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinZ View Post
Car looks nice man. Can I ask how the Fitment was on the nismo rep rear? Did you have to put a lot of work into it.
Thank you! I appreciate it.. I have never worked on body parts before. I just really like to do little projects and take on more then I know how to handle. The bumper fitment was decent. I don't really have anything else to compare it to since I haven't received an aftermarket bumper before. I say decent because it didn't just bolt up.

Here is a brief summary of my DIY for the bumper:

1) Remove interior spare tire panels. Remove spare. Remove foam. Remove Plastic.
2) Remove plastic molding near taillights
3) Remove taillights
4) Remove all clips on top of rear bumper. Remove wheel well screws.
5) Remove bottom clip under rear bumper.
6) Remove bumper from car. Remove bumper foam from car.
7) Hold nismo bumper up to the car for test fit.
8) Pull Bottom over the clip for the fog light and itll help hold the bumper on the car without using your hands.
9) Grab heat gun and heat bumper (not a hairdryer) so that it forms to the shape of the car. Make sure not to crack it. (Mine was off by about 6-10 inces)
10) Once the bumper is in the proper shape, grab a drill or dremel and start to make holes for the bumper clips to go into. Also, youll need to drill into the metal on the car. Make sure you have a drill with the proper bits.
11) There is 2 sets of 4 holes that need to be drilled with the proper length and size in order for them to click back into the body of the car.
12) Heat and hold fenders into place so that the body lines match. Grab damp cold towel and place on the bumper to mold and make sure it forms.
13) Once bumper is on, sand out all imperfections with various grits of sandpaper. I used a sanding block not a power tool for this.
14) Fill all small holes from production with bondo or body filler. Let dry and sand those areas out til smooth.
15) Depending on if you are painting factory color or not, youll need to prime the bumper and make sure its ready for proper paint. Plastidip doesnt need to be primed before.

For not knowing anything, I think I did okay. Im sure if i took it to a body shop they would laugh at the minor flaws, but for a daily driver and not spending $1,500 for the OEM one, ill take it.