View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
ElVee
Track Member

Drives: 13 370z 7at t+s grey
ElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzoneos View Post
I guess one thing has really bothered me, leading to this post:
Why are so many of these cars sold with ridiculously low mileage? So many 370z's, even on this forum get sold 3 years later with less then 15k or even 10k miles?

Is it not a good daily driver (I plan on making it mine)? Are there long term reliability issues? expensive maintenance? poor driving feel?

The 370Z is a good looking sports car with power that costs more than a typical low income person can afford. This means it ends up being a lot like a Corvette; babied and driven only on the weekends, if not being a straight-up garage queen car to owners who blush with pride just because it's in their garage. This all lines up to having plenty of specimens that are not heavily driven over the years, and they tend to be driven somewhat carefully, since they were 40k new.

It's a good DD, though some people may be a tad bit too large to feel completely comfortable in the car. Others garage it in the winters and stay out of the snow/salt. Many have this car as a third car, so it only gets driven on the good weather weekends, leading to much lower mileage.

I've not seen or heard of any longterm reliability issues at all, so this shouldn't be a concern. The only thing to look for would be a salvaged title or one that has been in a big wreck. Definitely get it deeply checked out. An accident doesn't equal issues down the road, but you should definitely make sure the frame is good, the body is good, and you've got OEM parts and all VINs present.

Maintenance isn't that expensive, but there are three exceptions:
- gas -you'll be paying for premium gas and the mileage isn't great unless you drive it like a prius.
- tires -you'll go through tires, and they're not cheap. Many get 12-15k out of their tires, but I wore out my first pair of rears in 8k.
- insurance -just be sure to grill your insurance on what your rates will be. And keep the hell out of trouble. Invest in a radar detector and be very judicious when you decide to test the acceleration. If you're clean, this should be surprisingly livable.
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote