View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
zakimak
6/2/80 - 9/29/14 - RIP Lukas

Drives: ZR; Q45; VTR1K, GT65
zakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
Now, for the sake of argument, lets dumb it down a little bit. Lets say this..... H20Doc's favorite band of all time (hansen) Lol is coming to his house to play For his birthday.
Take away the electronics, the amplifiers and the speakers, ect.
You sit on your couch, as they begin to play, and the sound is perfect, crystal clear, as You start to slip away into a music induced euphoria are there 3 brothers in front of you, or 2, with one (gasp) behind you?
Who wants one of the Hansen brothers behind them when they have lost all motor functions? Certainly not me.

Disclaimer: This post was in no way intentionally insulting to H20Doc or the Hansen brothers, and is the sole property of its poster. No persons or animals were harmed in the making of this post.Reproduction is a crime, and will result in prosecution of the offender.
Car audio is different from all other forms in terms of listening environment and ultimately it is a preference BUT there are merits to rear fill addition to a system although I prefer NOT to have it in my own system and have never designed one with it. That said there are legitimate reasons for it, namely psychoacoustics, time delays and phrasing issues caused by the car interior and the many differing acoustic properties of materials found in a car.

Since we are dealing with recorded materials, unless you drive the MClaren F1, there is no way to address the off center set up in a typical car so you end up not being in the sweet spot and also dealing with timing issues. Add that to placement of a component set up and it's progressively more problematic. Now figure in all the differing materials and you have even more problems causing all sorts of phrasing issues. So why more of it by adding rears? It is to compensate for these particular issues. Is it 'sonically or musically' more accurate? No in theory but psycoacoustically, it is can be more pleasing and can be more 'accurate' - IF DONE RIGHT. Which is why OEM especially high end system have it. It works because they have the tools and the research to tailor the setup to address these issues using built in processing/drivers while tailoring to specific cars and trims. Something that is really impractical for the aftermarket to do. All that said, is it likely better to NOT do it. Yes a good set up and better install will not need rears but if it sound good to you, go ahead.

It always bugs me that people are so adamant about what to use and what not to when making recommendations in particularly speakers but don't take into consideration of people's own preferences and musical taste. I remembered listening to a set of Wilson Audio Alexia at booth and a guy came by and said "my cerwin vegas D-9 sounds better than that ****"... He was right if you were listening to AC/DC and certainly to him, it did.

Free Stuff for Premium Members - Yeah Really

Last edited by zakimak; 12-04-2013 at 04:29 PM.
zakimak is offline   Reply With Quote