View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #80 (permalink)
onzedge
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 240Z
onzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
This is too good of a thread to let die. In two years, there should be some more good stories And since I somehow found this searching for something completely unrelated, I'll go ahead and bump it with a story from my first DIY maintenance on the Z.

I was changing the transmission and differential fluids to Redline early in the life of the Z. I hadn't yet accumulated enough tools to do much work on the car myself, so I was at a buddy's house, where we put the front wheels of the Z up on ramps (the surface was slightly downhill, so the car actually sat very level on the ramps). The clearance was just enough to get access to the transmission but made the differential very difficult to get to. So we turned the car around after the transmission fluid change and backed the rear wheels onto the ramp for the differential fluid change. While the Z was up on the ramps, we put jack stands under the suspension in case the ramps failed or something (just being cautious). When we were done with the transmission fluid, I started to back the car off the ramp before I heard a nasty metal crunch as the car caught on the jack stands that we moronically left under the car - one of the stands was inches away from causing some major damage. Luckily, no harm done as I carefully drove the Z back up onto the ramps so we could remove the jack stands. That was pretty dumb. But what was really fucking dumb was we did the same damn thing after turning the car around and finishing up the differential fluid